The GY-HM620 is an advanced handheld ProHD camera that delivers unsurpassed imagery and offers features for news, sports, and independent production. Based on JVC's popular GY-HM600, the new 620 has upgraded CMOS devices for greater sensitivity and a brighter LCD display for outdoor daylight viewing. Versatile and extremely easy to use, there's no better camera for fast paced HD field production.
- Newly designed 1/3-inch 12-bit CMOS sensors (1920 x 1080 x 3)
- F12 Sensitivity
- 23x Fujinon Auto focus zoom lens with manual functions
F1.6-3.0, 23x, f=4.1-94.3mm (35mm conversion:29 to 667mm)
- Optical image stabilizer
- 3 position ND filter (1/4, 1/16, 1/64)
- 0.45-inch 1.22M pixel color viewfinder
- Upgraded 3.5-inch 920K pixel LCD display with focus assist
- SDXC/SDHC memory card recording (2 slots for dual-backup, continuous recording)
- Large file size support with SDXC card
- 50Mbps H.264 Extreme High Quality mode (XHQ)
- Multiple encoding formats:
- HD MPEG2 (35/25/19Mbps)
- AVCHD 1920x1080 60i
- 1080/60p recording capability
- SD H.264
- Wide media format compatibility:
- .MOV (Final Cut Pro)
- .MP4 (XDCAM EX™)
- Professional switch layout and comprehensive video settings
- Pre Rec (retro) mode (15 sec.)
- Interval (time lapse) recording
- Built-in stereo microphone
- 2-channel balanced audio inputs (mic/line switchable) w/phantom power supply
- HD/SD-SDI, HDMI Outputs
- Wired remote control connector
- High performance 2D DNR
Flexibility meets next generation performance! Introducing the GY-HM620, an upgraded, versatile and extremely easy to use ProHD camcorder with superior low-light performance for next generation acquisition. Equipped with a high quality 23x Fujinon lens and and new full HD 1/3-inch CMOS Sensors, the camera delivers superb sharpness and excellent low-light performance. Its advanced JVC Falconbrid image processor delivers the highest quality recordings in a variety of popular formats that don't require time consuming conversion for editing. Not only can you produce better quality recordings, but you'll do it in less time than ever before.
New High Performance Full HD 1/3-inch CMOS Sensors
- At the heart of the GY-HM620 are three, newly designed 1/3-inch CMOS sensors, each capable of capturing full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution images. Offering an excellent sensitivity of F12 (60Hz) /F13 (50Hz) and a remarkable signal-to-noise ratio, the devices provide superior precision and color reproduction.
23x Fujinon Auto Focus Zoom Lens with Manual Functions
- The GY-HM620 is equipped with a Fujinon wide angle 23x zoom lens that delivers superior low-light performance with brightness at the tele end. The lens offers F1.6-3.0, a focal range of 29mm-667mm (35mm equivalent) and includes servo zoom, manual focus, and iris rings, along with a four-position (clear, 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64) ND filter. Other features include an optical image stabilizer, chromatic aberration correction.
The GY-HM620's long zoom range means that you can get shots not possible with other cameras its size.
The built-in Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS) helps to correct lateral and vertical movement of the camera, ensuring that pristine HD images remain sharp and stable.
Outstanding low light performance
- The GY-HM620 produces outstanding images in all sorts of lighting environments, including in situations where there's not much light at all. Minimum illumination is less than 1 lux: 0.15lx (typical)*. JVC's exclusive LoLux feature permits shooting in adverse lighting conditions. LoLux can be assigned to a USER button, and set in the menu to offer +30dB or +36dB of gain. A convenient gain switch provides default gain values of -6dB, 0dB, +9dB. These switch positions can be adjusted to various gain amounts from -6dB to +24dB. An ALC mode is also available to boost gain values from +6dB to +24dB. Standard sensitivity of the GY-HM620 is measured at F12 @ 2,000 lux (60Hz) and F13 @ 2,000 lux (50Hz).
*(1920 x 1080 mode, F1.6, Lolux mode, 1/30 or 1/25 shutter
Revolutionary FALCONBRID™ Image Processing Engine
- FALCONBRID™ is JVC's high-speed processor for advanced video applications. Delivering tremendous processing power on a single chip, the on-board FALCONBRID™ engine processes large amounts of video data at exceptional speeds. Together with this technology, superior image quality has been realized with 2D DNR processing and compensation circuitry for wide dynamic range.
MPEG-2 and AVCHD Recording
- The GY-HM620 supports both the popular MPEG-2 Long GOP 35/25/19Mbps format, widely used by television broadcasters, and the highly efficient AVCHD 24/17Mbps mode, which provides compatibility with a wide range of affordable editing systems. This means that professionals have unprecedented flexibility to meet production standards through a wide range of workflows.
Multiple File Formats for Native Workflows
- Record HD or SD footage directly in ready-to-edit QuickTime™ MOV files, the native file format of Apple's Final Cut Pro™. JVC has eliminated one of the main obstacles to achieving a smoother, more streamlined production workflow. Native file recording ensures your footage is ready to edit the moment it's shot, resulting in a more efficient workflow and no loss of image quality. Additionally, with the MPEG-2 mode for Windows editing environments, it is possible to record in MP4 format (XDCAM EX™ workflow-compatible) for direct editing in other major NLE systems, including Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere and Grass Valley Edius Pro.
*H.264 SD MOV file can be edited by Grass Valley Edius Pro
Dual SDHC/SDXC Card Slots for Maximum Versatility
- Dual SDHC/SDXC card slots make the GY-HM620 a truly versatile camcorder, offering such benefits as simultaneous recording and relay recording with reliable and cost-effective media. In relay recording mode, you can shoot continuously and seamlessly over multiple cards. When one card is full, the camcorder switches seamlessly and automatically to the other card. And because cards are hot swappable, there is in effect no limit to the continuous shooting time in any mode, even with lower capacity cards.
It is possible to start editing footage from one card while still shooting to the other. With simultaneous recording, you can easily create backup or duplicate files as you shoot without the need for any external equipment?either for a client copy or simply for peace of mind. Additionally, while the Rec trigger is used to pause and unpause recording on one card, the other card can act as a continuous backup that overrides the pause function. SDHC/SDXC media offers the best combination of price, availability, capacity, reliability and transfer speed. With no moving parts and no pins or other extrusions, SDHC/SDXC cards are both durable and reliable, and compare favorably with tape on a cost-per-minute basis.
* During simultaneous backup recording in HD mode, the duplicate file records in the same file format and bit rate as the original.
Superb Portability and Compact Design
- With a stylish body that fits boldly within the distinctive range of ProHD camcorders, the compact dimensions and superb portability of the GY-HM620 allow it to be used anywhere. Lightweight (2.4kg/5.3lbs operating condition), versatile and extremely easy to use, it is the perfect camcorder for next generation acquisition.
Shooter-Friendly Controls and Layouts
- Ergonomics has played a major role in the design of the GY-HM620. The camcorder's handgrip makes it very comfortable to hold, even on long shoots. And despite its extremely compact dimensions, all the camcorder's main functions are accessible directly from controls and switches on the camera body, right where you would expect them to be.
New, Brighter, High-Resolution 3.5" LCD Monitor
- A high-resolution 920K LCD monitor provides a wide array of monitoring and setup indications. For maximum flexibility, the 16:9 monitor is mounted at the top of the camera, and can be swiveled for handheld shooting at various angles or flipped for use as a talent monitor.
1.22 Megapixel LCOS Viewfinder
- The GY-HM620 features a stunning new high-resolution (852 x 480 x 3) LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) 0.45" viewfinder. The 16:9 image is crisper and more detailed than conventional LCD viewfinders, with higher vertical resolution and superior RGB color separation.
Focus Assist Function
- Helping the camera operator stay focused on the action is a focus assist system that highlights the edges of objects in the image. When Focus Assist is switched on, the image in the viewfinder or LCD monitor switches to monochrome and all objects that are in focus appear with colored edges (selectable from red, green or blue). Keeping the important elements in the picture in focus while shooting is greatly simplified.
- The GY-HM620 takes ProHD's highly regarded GUI navigation to the next level. Not only are menu items immediately accessible, but settings can also be easily checked right from the settings window. With an improved graphical interface, it's easier than ever to customize the settings to match individual preferences or the demands of the moment.
Pre Rec (Retro Cache) Start Mode—No more missed shots!
- How many times have you missed a crucial moment because you didn't hit the record button in time? In this mode, the GY-HM600U continually records up to 15 seconds in cache memory. When the trigger is pressed, the live signal is appended to the cache recording, giving you a head start in getting the shot. This feature is invaluable in capturing breaking events when the shot would be lost before a traditional camera could begin recording.
Interval (time-lapse) Rec
- This feature allows you to record single frames at set intervals, which can be used to shoot slow-moving scenes, such as sunsets or construction, or to capture time-lapse recordings such as the growing of plants.
Variable Frame Rate Recording (Over Crank, Under Crank)
- When recording in the 720p 35Mbps mode, the camera can be set to record at a frame rate different than the playback rate. This capability makes it possible to record slow or fast motion when the recording is played back at 24p, 25p or 30p. The GY-HM620 can also under-crank in the 1080p 35Mbps mode.
HD-SDI / HDMI Connectivity
- For live broadcast applications, or for monitoring, the GY-HM620 provides an uncompressed, 4:2:2 full HD or downconverted SD signal via its HD/SD SDI connector. The signal can come from either the camera or from memory playback. When downconverted, the video may be in either PAL or NTSC depending on the HD mode selected: 60Hz (23.98p, 29.97p, 59.94p/i) = NTSC, 50Hz (25p, 50p/i) = PAL. The HD/SD SDI output is via a BNC connector and includes embedded uncompressed audio. It is also possible to output the menus and clip viewer via the HD/SD SDI output.
An HDMI connector outputs the same signal as the HD-SDI connector, especially useful for monitoring while shooting a live event. The HDMI output may be switched to RGB mode when monitoring via computer.
- TC Sync in/out — for synchronizing time code with another camcorder
- AV out — Provides composite video output with audio (3.5mm jack)
- Mic/Line (x2) with phantom power (XLR)
- Aux In (audio) for wireless receiver
- Remote control (2.5mm)
- Headphone jack — switchable stereo/mono
- USB (device) provides access to SDHC files via computer.
Time Code Sync
With TC Sync functionality, two GY-HM600 series cameras may be synchronized with time code using an RCA cable. The terminal is used for both in/out functions allowing either unit to be the master, ensuring that the same time code will be recorded on both cameras.
Wired Remote Control Connection
The GY-HM620 comes with a wired remote interface (2.5mm connector) for operating the camcorder remotely when using a tripod, jib, crane or boom. LANC (Control-L) compatible devices may be used with this connector.
Audio Recording and Monitoring Flexibility
The GY-HM620 records 2 channels of 16 bit/48Khz uncompressed LPCM audio (MPEG2) and 16 bit/48Khz 256kbps audio (AVCHD). Audio levels can be controlled manually, or automatically using AGC. A switchable audio limiter is provided. Audio frequencies may be adjusted with a multi-band audio equalizer. An audio meter is displayed on the LCD and VF to facilitate adjustment. Balanced XLR connectors with 48V phantom power are provided on the handle for a external microphones. Versatile input switching allows the microphone signal to be directed to the desired channel.
The side panel is equipped with screw mounts to attach a bracket (CA-UP600) for an optional wireless receiver. Dedicated mic and headphone jacks are provided for this purpose.
High-Capacity Battery Systems
Capture more footage and clock more recording time with the newly developed high-capacity (4900mAh) battery. Continuous operating time using the supplied SSL-JVC50 battery is approximately 2 hours, 45 minutes.* An optional dual battery charger (LC-2J) is available. In addition, it is also possible to charge the battery when the camera is switched off and plugged in using the supplied AC adapter. Charging time of SSL-JVC50 battery is approximately 4 hours.
*Actual operating time may differ depending on the age of the battery, charging condition and operating environment.
JVC ProHD Clip Manager
- ProHD Clip Manager for both Mac and Windows makes it easy to manage MP4 clips on the GY-HM620's memory cards from your computer. With a few clicks of the mouse you can copy, move or delete clips, preview clip content, as well as view and edit clip metadata. A thumbnail view of all the clips in the current folder shows the content of each clip at a glance. Use the viewer to watch the whole clip, or change the clip's index frame used for the thumbnail. You can also manage folders to keep your clips organized, and check the remaining free space on a card. The latest version of ProHD Clip Manager offers an even greater level of NLE compatibility by enabling MP4 files to be converted to m2t, widely supported by non-linear editing systems.
ProHD Log and Transfer Plug-in
- ProHD Log and Transfer Plug-in is a plug-in for Apple's Final Cut Pro™ that lets you drop MP4 files recorded on the GY-HM620 into the clip bin. With the plug-in installed, you can view thumbnails of the MP4 files on a memory card from the Log and Transfer screen of Final Cut Pro™. Simply drag and drop the thumbnails into the bin to automatically convert the clips to QuickTime™, ready for use.
JVC has announced updates for its popular 1/3-inch sensor camcorder range: the GY-HM620 and GY-HM660.
The new cameras are based around three, 1/3-inch chips and will replace the company’s GY-HM600, as well as the GY-HM650 model used by the BBC.
The two new models are based around a new sensor, which JVC says has 13 stops of sensitivity (at 50Hz), as well as better low-light performance. The camcorders use a three-chip design, and an integrated 23x zoom lens. This covers the 35mm equivalent fields of view of 29mm to 667mm.
Externally, the two new camcorders are similar in design to previous models, including a lens with three separate control rings and ND filters, an LCD screen and microphone to the top, and a viewfinder to the rear.
JVC has, though, upgraded both the LCD screen and the viewfinder, the latter with a LCOS display.
The GY-HM620 and GY-HM660 record to SD cards in QuickTime (h.264) .mov files, at up to 50mbps in HD. The cameras feature relay recording and a 15-second pre-record buffer. In addition, the GY-HM660, like the GY-HM650, supports live streaming, and the camera can record video internally and stream at the same time.
Although the GY-HM620 gains the new chip, viewfinder and LCD, many of the improvements are focused on the GY-HM660 camcorder’s streaming capabilities.
The GY-HM650 was capable of live streaming direct from camera – without the need to connect to an external streaming kit – and the GY-HM660 builds on this by adding forward error correction, using SMTPE 2022 and Zixi protocols. The new model also supports RTMP, allowing direct connections to content distribution networks.
Including the protocol also means that the camera can stream directly to Ustream or YouTube Live without any additional hardware. The camera has a USB port for connecting third-party 4G or WiFi dongles.
A future firmware update will add IFB talkback for reporters and presenters in the field to the GY-HM660. This will allow producers of live events and broadcasts to speak to on-screen talent directly from the studio, without the need for additional hardware.
JVC has yet to confirm pricing or the date for the firmware upgrade, but the camcorders will be on show at this year’s NAB in Las Vegas.
Availability: deliverytime ca 5 days
Weight: 5000 gr